HelloWorld is the deployment phase of PropulseArt.
HelloWorld aims to establish long-term projects and partnerships by expanding upon an international network of users. This network will, in turn, fuel the project's evolution through its users' creativity, specific communications needs and emergent business opportunities they may wish to develop.
Partners involved in HelloWorld! are therefore invited to work alongside the SAT's development team to develop and optimize the program's capabilities. Our team is available to guide you through the software installation and network configuration and will be able to provide technical support tailored to your specific needs.
Project ObjectiveThe main objective is to connect a minimum of six cities around the world with the Scenic software developed in the PropulseArt project.
L'objectif principal du projet est de connecter un minimum de six institutions culturelles à travers le monde en utilisant le logiciel Scenic.
Who can participate ?
- Every one interested in the project are more than welcome
- Art and culture organization, venues and events
- Artists in art and technology
- Research lab oriented on audio and video development
- Research lab oriented network development
- Free software projects
- City and related organization
- Community center
- Academic institutions
Why should we participate ?
- This project gives you the possibility to perform new kinds of events and realize projects between two or more locations using a telepresence system.
- This is a good opportunity to develop partnerships with other cities and countries.
- To establish visibility and recognition for your technological leadership and artistic vision.
- To be part of an international network of leading organizations in cultural and technological fields.
- By participating, you contribute to a free software project and its development
How to participate ?
- You can contact our R & D Director René Barsalo at rbarsalo @ sat . qc . ca
- You can join us on our IRC Channel [irc://irc.freenode.net/#scenic]
- You can subscribe to the Scenic mailing list
What are the requirements?:
- Demonstrate an interest in telepresence
- Demonstrate and interest in live performance (audio and video) over a network
- Demonstrate an interest in developing long term collaborations by creating permanent network bridges
- Becoming an early adopter of new technology
- Network resources: Being able to connect your site to a high performance network (Research network, Fiber optic)
- Public IP address
- About 20Mbps full-duplex
- Near zero packet loss
- Low jitter
- Material resources:' Being able to obtain the required hardware
- Human resources:Being able to invest time, mainly acquiring the required network and material, installing the software, performing tests, etc..
- Technological skills:
- Minimum skills:
- Computer Skills:' Installing an operating system on a computer, i.e. with a linux bootable cd. Typing commands in a terminal.
- Network: Knowledge of your network speed and configuration (switch, router, firewall).
- Audio and Video: Connecting audio and video devices, performing sound checks and video tests.
- Not required but helpful to have:
- Linux: Installing, detecting devices.
- Network knowledge and tools: ping, iperf, traceroute, ssh, packet loss, firewall, router, switch, network architecture
- Communication: IRC usage
- Audio: Knowledge of various audio concepts. Audio latency, various audio formats, audio compression, audio synchronization, feedback.
- Video: Knowledge of various video concepts. Video formats, codecs, resolutions, bitrate, video latency.
- Minimum skills:
Here an overview of the basic steps that we initiate with every HelloWorld participant:
- Step 1. : Partnership: establishing contact with partners and initial planning stages.
- Step 2. : Network Evaluation: making some initial network tests using partners' existing hardware.
- Step 3. : Network improvement: fixing any network trouble detected during the network evaluation.
- Step 4. : Acquiring and installing required hardwares technologies and softwares
- Step 5. : Testing the setup setup (hardware and software)
- Step 6. : Testing the application
- Step 7. : Interactive presentation on how to prepare an event (from production and technical points of view)
Next to HelloWorldSteps
Back to PropulseArt